Stretch Fabric | Types of Stretch Fabric
Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House.
Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Email: [email protected]
Stretch fabric is one kinds of synthetic fabric which stretches. This type of fabric can be two way stretch or four way stretch.
2 Way Stretch Fabric:
Two way stretch-fabric stretches mainly in one direction i.e. from selvedge to selvedge. But in case of knit fabric it can be stretches in other direction also.
4 Way Stretch Fabric:
On the other hand, four way stretch-fabric stretches in the both direction such as cross wise and length wise.
Classification of Stretch Fabric:
There are two categories of stretch-fabric based on degree of stretch ability. Those ares-
- Power or action stretch-fabric,
- Comfort stretch-fabric.
All the above two types have explained in the below:
1. Power or action stretch fabric:
Power or action stretch-fabric provides a fabric with a high degree of extensibility and quick recovery. The stretch factor ranges here from 30% to 50% or more.
Uses of power or action stretch-fabric:
2. Comfort stretch fabric:
Comfort stretch-fabric applied to the fabrics with less than 30% stretch factor. Such fabrics are used for everyday clothing that needs only a moderate degree of elasticity.
Uses of comfort stretch-fabric
This category covers a wide range of end usages in both apparel and the home as well as in transportation upholstery.
With stretch-fabric, comfort is achieved by reducing garment restraint imposed on the body. No standard exist for the level of stretch required in various types of garments. However, there are some experimental data available on this matter:
Men’s suit jacket
Men’s shirt (Sleeve)
Men’s shirt (Body)
From the above mentioned experimental results they reached the below conclusions:
- The experiment confirmed the general view that outerwear garments which offers the least resistance to the body movements are the most comfortable.
- Wearer’s preferences for stretch wear established at a 25% to 45% stretch range depending on the end use.
- For women’s horizontal stretch slacks, a 35% stretch level effectively satisfies the comfort requirements for this type of apparel.
More questions related this topic:
- Stretch knit fabric | Stretch jersey knits.
- Stretch cotton fabric.
- Popular items for stretch fabrics.
- What is the difference between 2 way and 4 way stretch fabrics?
- What is cotton lycra fabric used for?
- What kind of material is lycra?
- What kind of material is elastane?
- Stretch knit fabric types.
- 4 way stretch fabrics.
- Stretch satin fabric.
- Stretch fleece fabric.
- Stretch silk fabric.