List of Pattern Making Tools and Their Uses
Pattern Making Tools:
To work efficiently, the pattern maker must have the proper pattern making tools and supplies. For making better communication with the workroom and to minimize errors due to misunderstanding, the pattern maker should know and understand some terminology related with pattern-making tools.
You may follow List of Top 50 Mens Clothing Brands in the World
List of Pattern Making Tools and Their Function:
There are various pattern making tools which are vastly used in apparel industry have pointed out in the below with their function:
- Straight pins,
- Straight pin holder,
- Pencils and pens,
- Curve rules,
- Hanger hooks or ringers,
- Push pins,
- Magic mend scotch tape,
- Black twill tape,
- Tracing wheels,
- Metal weight,
- Measuring tape,
- Tailors chalk.
All the above pattern making tools have explained in the below with their function:
1. Straight pins:
Dress maker used it for draping and fitting.
2.Straight pin holder:
Pincushion or magnetic holder which is used for wrist and table.
There are different types of scissors such as paper scissor, fabric scissor etc.
4. Pencils and pens:
- Mechanical pencil and sharpener which is used for pattern work.
- Red and blue colored pencils are used to identify pattern changes. Black, green, red and blue felt tip pens for pattern information.
- Tailors square (24 × 14) inch metal ruler with two arms forming a 90® angle that measures, rules and squares simultaneously.
- Also used to triangle with the measurements to square lines.
6. Curve rules:
French curve is one of the several curves used for shaping arm hole and neck line.
7. Hanger hooks or ringers:
It is used to hold the patterns together for hanging on rods.
8. Push pins:
Push pins areused for pattern manipulation. It also prevents pattern slippage when cutting several plies of paper together.
9. Magic mend scotch tape:
It is used to mend pattern work.
10. Black twill tape:
Black twill tape is used for the placement of style lines on garments.
It is used to indicate seam allowance, center line and also to identify front and back of patterns.
12. Tracing wheels:
It is used to transfer pattern shape into paper.
It is used to indicate the ending of darts, pocket, trim and button hole placements.
14. Metal weight:
Metal weight is used to hold the patterns in place for tracing and marking.
15. Measuring tape:
It is used to measure the size of pattern.
16. Tailors chalk.
Tailors chalk is used for making adjusted seams and style lines.
More questions related this topic:
- What is pattern?
- What is pattern making paper?
- What is pattern making?
- What do you understand by pattern making tools?
- Mention some basic tools for apparel pattern making.
- Mention a list of pattern making equipment.
- Mention a list of tools and equipment for pattern making.
- Pattern drafting: basic tools and their function in clothing or apparel industry.
- A guide to pattern making tools: pattern drafting the right way.
- Point out the pattern making tolls list used in readymade garments industry.
Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House.
Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Email: [email protected]