Knit Fabric Consumption Formula for a Basic T-Shirt
Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House.
Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Email: [email protected]
Fabric consumption is an important factor in garments merchandising. Profit of an order mostly depends on it. As a result, fabric consumption should be done accurately after receiving the order.
As its vast importance on garments merchandising, today I will discuss about the knit fabric consumption formula for T-Shirt.
Method of Knit Fabric Consumption:
Knit fabric consumption should be done by using the following formula-
Fabric consumption per dozen, (All measurements in cm),Note:
- Types of fabric and fabric GSM will be confirmed by the buyer.
- For body length and sleeve length, approximate sewing allowance (12cm) should be needed at body hem, shoulder joint, sleeve hem and armhole joint.
- For chest width, approximate sewing allowance (6cm) should be needed at both side seams.
- And approximate fabric wastage in various stages is 10%.
Now, I will provide an example for knit fabric consumption in the following. After that, all the confusion about the above discussion will be cleared I think.
Suppose, one of the buyer has provided you the following measurement chart of a basic T-Shirt by mentioning the order quantity and fabric GSM. (Where Fabric is 100% cotton single jersey and fabric GSM is 160 and order quantity is 10000pcs). Then calculate the fabric consumption for this order.Solution:
Here, we will follow the measurement chart for XL size.
- Fabric GSM- 160,
- Total order quantity- 10000
- Body length or shirt length- 79cm
- Sleeve length- 43cm
- ½ Chest width- 61cm
Now, all the measurements are applied on the following formula-
Fabric consumption per dozen, (All measurement in cm),
= 3.45 + 10% (in kg)
= 3.795 kg per dozen.
So, fabric needed for 10000pcs (833.33 dozen) garments is 3162.5kg.
Speech from the writer:
All the articles of mine are long, because I want to explain all the terms with clear concept. As u all easily understand what I want to say. I believe that, it will be so much helpful for you.