Effects of Wrong Needle Selection in Apparel Industry
Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House.
Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Selection of Sewing Needle:
In readymade garments industry, sewing needle should be selected according to the types of fabric and sewing thread. Perfect needle selection helps to achieve better output from the sewing section. The size of sewing needle is expressed differently by the manufacturers but metric size is the simplest and widely used in garments manufacturing sector. In shortly, sewing needle size is denoted by Nm and is expressed by measuring the diameter of the middle of needle blade.
Effect of Wrong Needle Selection in Garments Industry:
- Effects when the needle is finer than sewing thread,
- Effects when the thread is finer than needle,
- Effects when the needle is coarser than required fabric,
- Effects when the needle is finer than required fabric.
All the above effects have explained in the following:
1. Effects when the needle is finer than sewing thread:
When the sewing needle is finer than sewing thread then the thread cannot move easily through the needle eye and thread will not take position accurately at the needle long groove. As a result more heat will generate on the needle for higher friction which ultimately results the thread breakage and garments production loss.
2. Effects when the thread is finer than needle:
When the thread is finer than sewing needle then it may produce slipped stitch as the needle can’t create perfect size of loop.
3. Effects when the needle is coarser than required fabric:
4. Effects when the needle is finer than required fabric:
When the sewing needle is finer than required fabric then the sewing needle will deflect and become curve with the action of the throat plate. This type of curve needle will produce slip stitch as the looper may not catch the loop needle thread.