15 Garment Costing Terms Used in Apparel Industry
Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House.
Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Email: [email protected]
Garments or apparel or clothing costing is very important in garments merchandising. Garment merchandisers done this job by negotiating with the buyer. During garments costing, there are a lot of garments costing terms have come in consideration which are mentioned in this article.
You may follow 7 Key Principles of Apparel Costing
Garments Costing Terminology Used in Garment Export Import Business:
Different terms related to garments costing are mentioned in the following:
- Yarn cost,
- Process cost,
- Buyer negotiation,
- Over head cost,
- Shortage in process,
- Buyer specification about the definite product,
- Process of shipment (Sea or Air),
- Commission (%) for the middle man,
- Profit (%) for factory or buying house.
All the above points have discussed in the below:
1. Yarn cost:
2. Process cost:
3. Buyer negotiation:
Buyer negotiation or buyer handling is very important in readymade garments sector. As a garment merchandiser you should explain your total discussion to the buyer in all possible ways by keeping those matters in your way. Buyer will automatically choose from your proposed options.
Quality is the ultimate point of a garments product. Garments buyers are now invested a lot of money to satisfy the customers by providing them right quality products.
Garment costing varies depending on the quantity of garments.
CMT means “Cut make and trims”. In this circumstance, garments manufacturer quotes the buyer a proposed price which covers making cost, trimmings and accessories cot of a garment. Here, all the other required materials sent by the buyer to the manufacturer.
7. Over head cost:
Overhead cost means the cost of each operator required to make a garment. Over head cost has a significance impact in garments costing.
8. Shortage in process:
If garments made by avoiding unnecessary processes then it will be very effective for garments costing.
9. Buyer specification about the definite product:
10. Process of shipment (Sea or Air):
Currency is an important matter in garments manufacturing sector.
FOB means “free on board”. In this case, exporter quotes the garment buyer a price that includes all costs up to and including delivery of goods aboard an overseas vessel. Here, exporter quote the price by adding fabric cost, accessories cost, CM (cost of making), overhead cost, commission, C&F commission and transportation cost from factory to port.
CIF means “Cost, insurance and freight”. In this case exporter quotes the buyer a price that covers FOB cost, insurance cost and freight cost. As a result, CIF cost is higher than C&F cost.
14. Commission (%) for the middle man:
If garment factory collects the order from a garment buying house or buying agent then he must have to pay them commission percentage for the order.
15. Profit (%) for factory or buying house:
During garments costing, garment merchandiser added profit (%) here for the factory or buying house with all the others cost.
Speech from the writer:
If you read this article attentively then you can easily answer the following questions in the interview:
- Mention different terms used in garments costing.
- Mention various terms used in garment pricing.
- Mention some important terms in garment costing.
- Mention all the terms used in apparel costing.
- Mention different apparel costing terminology used in garment export import business.
- Show apparel costing terminology list used in garment export import business.
- Mention different apparel pricing terminology used in apparel import export business.