Types of Interlining Used in Apparel Industry
Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House.
Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Email: [email protected]
Interlining is one of the most important accessories in readymade garments sector. During apparel manufacturing, interlining is used between two layers of fabric to support, re-enforce and control areas of apparel. There are two types of interlining is used in apparel manufacturing industry which are explained in this article.
Classification of Interlining:
There are two types of interlining used in apparel industry. Those are-
- Non fusible interlining or sewn interlining,
- Fusible interlining.
All the above two types have discussed in the below:
1. Non fusible interlining or sewn interlining:
The interlining which could be fixed with the apparel components by sewing that is known as non fusible or sewn interlining. A piece of fabric is treated with starch and allowed to dry for the preparation of sewn interlining and finally sewn with the main fabric.
Advantage of Non fusible interlining or sewn interlining:
Various advantages of Non fusible interlining or sewn interlining are mentioned in the below:
- It is used to make flame retardant garments or apparel.
- Here, no elaborate m/c is needed.
- It has probability of using in steel or re-rolling or highly heated industry.
- It is easy and simple technique.
Disadvantages of non fusible interlining or sewn interlining:
Different disadvantages of non fusible interlining or sewn interlining are-
- It is not available in market, needed to prepare.
- It is not suitable for large apparel production.
- Quality is not good enough here.
- It has needed more time.
- Higher work load and labor cost here.
2. Fusible Interlining:
Fusible interlining is that which could be fixed with the apparel components by applying heat and pressure for certain period of time. Fusing temperature is needed here 165-170°C and time needed 2-20sec.
Advantage of fusible interlining:
Various advantages of fusible interlining have mentioned in the following:
- It is available in local market.
- It is cheap than others.
- It has needed less fusing time.
- Production is higher than sewn interlining.
- Labor cost is low here.
- Not needed skilled operator here.
Disadvantages of fusible interlining:
Several disadvantages of fusible interlining have pointed out in the following:
- During attaching the fusible interlining special care is needed.
- High temperature is required here.