Fabric Cutting Tools Used in Apparel Industry:
Cutting department is an important department in readymade apparel industry. Cutting department is nothing without fabric cutting machines. There are so many cutting tools have used to cut the fabric in apparel sector. Among those, some mostly used cutting tools or fabric cutting machines have explained in this article with their features and images.
Different Types of Fabric Cutting Machines Used in Apparel Manufacturing:
Fabric cutting machines which are vastly used in apparel manufacturing industry have pointed out in the below:
- Straight knife cutting m/c,
- Band knife cutting m/c,
- Round knife cutting m/c,
- Die cutting m/c,
- Notcher cutting m/c,
- Drill cutting m/c,
- Computer controlled knife cutting m/c,
- Laser beam cutting m/c,
- Water Jet cutting m/c,
- Plasma torch cutting m/c.
Features of all the above fabric cutting machines have presented in the following with their pictures:
1. Straight Knife Cutting Machine:
Features of Straight Knife Cutting M/C:
- Here, knife is driven by using electric power.
- Straight edge is mostly used in straight knife.
- Here, blade stroke varies from 2.5 to 4.5 cm.
- During cutting, grinding wheel helps to sharp the cutting knife.
- Blade edge: straight edge, wave edge, saw edge, serrated edge
- This type of knife can cut heavy fabric i.e. canvas and denim fabric.
2. Band Knife Cutting Machine:
Features of Band Knife Cutting M/C:
- This type of knife consists of a series of three or more pulleys which are powered by electric motor.
- Band knife blade is normally narrower than straight knife.
- Here, cutting knife is endless in shape and also flexible.
- It is one kinds of saw mill cutter.
3. Round Knife Cutting Machine:
Features of Round Knife Cutting M/C:
- Some key elements of round knife fabric cutting machines are base plate, electric motor, circular blade etc.
- Band knife blade is circular.
- Band knife blade diameter ranges from 6 to 20cm.
- This type of blade is driven by electric power.
4. Die Cutting Machine:
Features of Die Cutting M/C:
- Pressers and clickers are mainly two types of die cuttings are available.
- To cut sharp and small parts it is mostly used in apparel industry.
- Important parts of this fabric cutting machines are blade, motor, ram head etc.
- Die is made by metallic strip.
5. Notcher Cutting Machine:
Features of Notcher Cutting M/C:
- It is special type of cutting machine.
- It is used in special cases.
- The notch can be made in V-shape or U-shape.
- It is used to cut notch in the edge of some important components.
6.Drill Cutting Machine:
Features of Drill Cutting M/C:
- The main components of this fabric cutting machines are motor, base plate, drill and spirit level.
- In hypodermic drill some color is sprayed along with the hole. So that it can easy to find the marked place.
- In case of tightly woven fabric, drill is permanent for long to making hole.
7. Computer Controlled Knife Cutting Machine:
Features of Computer Controlled Knife Cutting M/C:
- Computer controlled knife cutting method provides the most accurate possible cutting at high speed.
- Here, cutting knife is very hard and oval shaped.
- During cutting, marker is not needed to put over the fabric lay.
- Cutting blade is made of stainless steel.
- Sharpness of knife is also high here.
- This type of fabric cutting machines followed the CAD (computer aided design) system.
- Cutting knife itself moves according to the direction of computer programme.
8. Laser Beam Cutting Machine:
Features of Laser Beam Cutting M/C:
- In case of laser beam fabric cutting machines, cutting head is controlled by computer.
- Here, fabric is cut at a speed of 13m per minute.
- In case of this cutting process, fabric is cut by a ray of light in a very fine spot using laser.
- When the ray falls on a material, it generates heat on the material and cutting process is done by vaporization.
- Radius of spot of light is 0.25 mm which is high powerful.
9. Water Jet Cutting Machine:
Features of Water Jet Cutting M/C:
- In this machine, a catcher in the bottom of fabric lays which is used with the same speed and the same direction of water jet machine.
- Here, pressure of water is 60,000 pounds per square inch.
- Here, a thin jet of water is passed through a nozzle in a very momentum.
- Water is worked as like as hard and sharp knife which helps to cut the fabric easily.
10. Plasma Torch Cutting Machine:
Features of Plasma Torch Cutting M/C:
- By using these fabric cutting machines, one or more fabric plies can be cut.
- Here, fabrics are cut by a thin through the nozzle which is made by argon gas.
- To cut single ply of fabric it is most used.
Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House.
Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh.