Career in Apparel Merchandising: Common Questions from Fresher
Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House.
Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
From the inauguration period of our garments merchandising website to till now, there are some common questions asked from the readers and visitors especially from the fresher’s that why we don’t publish any article which shows some ways to find the job in garment merchandising. For those, I tried myself to write about it and finally present 15 questions here with their answers which will be too much crucial for the fresher’s to make career in apparel merchandising.
You may follow 7 Factors to Consider After Receiving Apparel Export Order
Career in Garment Merchandising: Common Questions from Fresher
15 important questions have presented in the below:
- What is garment merchandising?
- How much educational qualifications required being a garment merchandiser?
- At the earlier stage, any experience required in garment merchandising?
- How a person can be a part of garment merchandising profession?
- In which way, job should be searched in garment merchandising?
- What is the application method for the post of apparel merchandiser?
- What are the key points should include in the CV for the post of garment merchandiser?
- How does the selection procedure for the post of garment merchandiser?
- Which types of questions have to solve in written exam?
- Which kinds of questions asked in oral exam?
- Mention some key points followed by the recruiter during oral examination?
- What is the working procedure of apparel merchandiser?
- How much importance of English, Computer and Communication build-up efficiency in garment merchandising?
- What are the salary structure and other opportunities for a garment merchandiser?
- What is your advice for the new comers?
All the above questions have answered in the following:
1. What is garment merchandising?
Merchandising comes from the word merchandise that means goods bought and sold and trading of goods. So, merchandising is an activity of selling and promoting the goods. These activities are done by a garment merchandiser by interacting with the buyer and manufacturer. He also makes good relation with the buyer or buying office or buying agents or buying agency and manufacturer in terms of execution of garment export order.
2. How much educational qualifications required being a garment merchandiser?
There are no specific educational criteria to be a garment merchandiser. The person has at least honor’s degree from any subject from any reputed university can make his career in readymade garments sector. But, it’s a great advantage for those applicants who are certified from the textile or garments manufacturing department from any reputed university. Because, they have enough idea about the product of RMG sector from it’s growing stage to finishing stage.
3. At the earlier stage, any experience required in garment merchandising?
Experience is all time a key factor for any types of job. It is the same in case of garment merchandising. At the earlier stage of garment merchandising, experience is not enough necessary for trainee apparel merchandiser but he must have minimum idea about the products or merchandising terms of this sector. It’s great news for the fresher’s that the leading garment factories and buying offices are creating more opportunities for the fresh merchandisers at the current period of time. Anyone can join here as a trainee merchandiser or assistant merchandiser under the garment merchandising department.
4. How a person can be a part of garment merchandising profession?
Before coming in this sector, applicant has to gather all types of basic knowledge’s related with the readymade garment products. Example: types of products produced, fabric types, knitting, dyeing, washing, embroidery and various terms or abbreviations related with textile and apparel etc. Textile and apparel certified persons are well known here but those who are certified from the others department have to complete some short course related this sector which are provided by so many institutions such as BGMEA, BUFT etc.
5. In which way, job should be searched in garment merchandising?
At first, have to prepare a CV by using normal font but not gorgeous. Then it should submit to the different garment merchandisers by hand or via email whether he has needed any merchandiser or not. The main advantages from here that if there’s any opportunity then he may knock you instantly. One of the key points to get a garment merchandising job is the ability of communication build up with the persons related with garment manufacturing sector specially garment merchandisers. Someone must provide you an opportunity if you have ten known merchandisers.
Besides these, you can follow several online job sites and apply there. If you find any circular then you should apply there not only in online but also send your CV to the factory address or submit it by hand to hand. The second step is very effective to get a job now a day. Unfortunately, there are so many who still don’t know about it.
6. What is the application method for the post of apparel merchandiser?
Already I have answered some portion of this question at question number-05. The other words for this question are- applicant should submit their CV to the required address by hand or online within 1-3days of circular publication. If you cross more than 5days it will reduce your possibility to get job there. Because, application deadline is not followed maximum of the time in readymade garments sector (not for all factories or buying house).
7. What are the key points should include in the CV for the post of garment merchandiser?
There are some key points which must be included in the CV. Those ares-
- Career objective related with RMG sector,
- A least one sentence which will ensure your dedication to this sector,
- Mention the experienced side of garment merchandising (if experienced),
- Point out the responsibilities at the previous organization (if experienced),
- Mention the extra courses completed related this sector (if fresher),
- Mention about the English spoken course and Computer course (for both fresher and experienced),
- A well-known reference name who can easily identify you and say something about you.
8. How does the selection procedure for the post of garment merchandiser?
Some points have considered at the initial stage of apparel merchandiser recruitment. Those are-
- Applicant from the textile and apparel manufacturing department,
- Minimum idea related with readymade garments sector (if fresher),
- Experienced in the definite side of garment merchandising mentioned in the circular (if experienced),
- Previous organizations (if experienced),
- Rapid job changing attitude,
- Graduated university or institutions,
- English spoken course,
- Computer course.
9. Which types of questions have to solve in written exam?
In the most cases, written exam have done for the experienced applicants. The question pattern is consist with the total parts of garment merchandising such as determination of fabric consumption, costing, knitting, dyeing, garment dyeing, over dyeing, cold dye, pigment dye, inside dye, outside dye, types of washing, sand blasting, types of embroidery, embroidery costing, poly bag consumption , poly bag costing, carton consumption, carton costing local and international market research etc.
If there’s any written exam for the fresher’s then they have to prepare them-self about different terms and abbreviations related with textile, garments and buying house, basic idea about garment manufacturing, flow chart, types of fabric, knitting, dyeing, washing, embroidery and various laws of fabric consumption and costing etc.
10. Which kinds of questions asked in oral exam?
At the oral exam, questions normally asked from some important parts of garment merchandising. Those are-
- Some common fabric name which are used in apparel manufacturing (if fresher),
- Fabric identification (if experienced),
- Fabric GSM assumption (if experienced),
- Various costing terms,
- Different buying house terms,
- Some common abbreviations for textile and apparel technology,
- Identification of garment washes (if experienced).
11. Mention some key points followed by the recruiter during oral examination?
There are some important key points which are followed by the recruiter during oral examination. Those are-
- Fluent English spoken,
- Confident answer (though that is wrong answer),
- Communication build-up efficiency,
- Eye contact with the recruiter,
- Afraid or not,
- Over smart (negative).
12. What is the working procedure of apparel merchandiser?
In garment merchandising, working procedure of a garment merchandiser is categorized into two. One is buying merchandiser working procedure and another one is for factory merchandiser.
Buying merchandiser has to do the following jobs:
- Buyer negotiation,
- Order received from the buyer,
- Fabric consumption,
- Factory evaluation,
- Order placement,
- Order follow-up,
- Passing necessary equipment’s or accessories to the factory,
- Manufacturing deadline follow-up,
- Garments production follow-up,
- Quality ensure,
- Goods sent to the buyer etc.
Factory merchandiser must have to follow the buying merchandiser. He has to do that which buying merchandiser ordered. His only task is to manufacture the garments by maintaining buying merchandiser’s instruction. If found any problem then he should contact with the buying merchandiser immediately.
13. How much importance of English, Computer and Communication build-up efficiency in garment merchandising?
As a garment merchandiser, you have to communicate with the buyer by using English language. If you are fluent in English then communication build-up with them will be easy for you. As a result, English efficiency is a crying needed for each and every apparel merchandiser. Not only English but also computer and communication build-up efficiency has so importance to be a perfect garment merchandiser.
14. What are the salary structure and other opportunities for a garment merchandiser?
Salary is well enough for the experienced garment merchandiser. In readymade garments sector, if you are well experienced then you can easily move yourself into the other organization with higher amount of salary and other opportunities such as accommodation, cars etc.
For the fresher’s, salary normally starts from ten thousands taka which you can change rapidly by proving yourself as a well experienced merchandiser. It’s only possible due to your hard work.
In readymade garment business of Bangladesh, the salary structure range for the apparel merchandiser is ten thousands to four or five lakhs taka.
15. What is your advice for the new comers?
If you want to make your career in garment merchandising then you have to prepare yourself by concentrating some key points. Those are-
- Dedication to the readymade garments sector,
- Job stamina,
- Tendency to take any kinds of challenge,
- Eagerness to learn something new,
- Don’t be idle,
- Proper using of time.
Finally one sentence is enough to make inspiration for you that is- if you survive yourself just 4-5 years in this sector then you haven’t look back in your next part of life. So, invest your next 4-5 years here and enjoy the rest of the part of your life.