An Overview of Enzyme Wash Applied on Garments
Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House.
Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
What is Enzyme Wash?
Enzyme wash is a bio-catalytic method where an ultra soft handle effect can be produced on garments. The hydrolytic effect of enzyme causes the loss of surface fiber, which improves surface smoothness and softness of the Garments. Cellulose enzymes are natural proteins which are used in garments washing to achieve stone wash look on the garments without using any stones or by reducing the use of pumice stone. Cellulose enzymes remove the indigo presents in the surface layer of fiber.
You may follow Buyer Compliance Checklist in Apparel Industry
Objects of Enzyme Wash:
- To remove the starch present on the garments.
- To remove the size material from the garments.
- For soft feeling to wear the garments.
- For increasing the color fastness and rubbing fastness.
- To improve the anti-pilling properties.
- To achieve a very smooth surface of the garments.
After completing enzyme wash, the following change must be occurred for the garments-
- GSM decrease,
Advantage of Enzyme Wash:
There are some advantages of enzyme wash, those are mentioned in the below:
- Environmental friendly wash.
- Increased luster.
- Less damage of seams.
- Less corrosive.
- Soft feeling to wear.
- Prevents tendency of pilling after relatively short period of wear.
- Less time needed at rinsing after completing enzyme wash than stone wash.
- Less damage of garments than stone wash.
- Most economical due to more water saving.
- Reduce labor engagement.
- The enzymes can be recycled.
Limitations of Enzyme Wash:
Though enzyme wash has a lot of advantage but there are some limitations, which are discussed in the following:
- Chances of back staining in the garments.
- Post treatment required.
- To remove the back staining, the garments are rigorously washed.
- Garment load size of the machine is limited.